Pursuant to the provisions of Section 9(2) of the Freedom of Information Act 1991 (the Act), the following details are provided as part of the Information Statement of the Department for Innovation and Skills (DIS) which is an agency as defined under Section 4(1)(c) of the Act. Subject to certain restrictions, the Act gives members of the public a legally enforceable right to access information held by the South Australian Government.
An Introduction to Freedom of Information (FOI) is provided by State Records.
Structure and functions
DIS consists of a number of business units. This includes independent statutory offices and bodies. For more information see:
- The most recent annual report contains a comprehensive description of the structure and functions of DIS.
- DIS contacts - information about individual business units and offices.
- There are no formal arrangements which enable members of the public to participate in the formulation of the department’s policies and the exercises of the agency’s functions. From time to time consultation is undertaken when it is deemed appropriate to engage the public in the formulation of specific policy.
Documents held within DIS
Documents held by DIS fall broadly into the categories described below. Documents can be requested in hard copy or electronically unless advised otherwise. The listing of these categories does not necessarily mean all documents are accessible in full or in part under the Act.
The categories include:
- Corporate files containing correspondence, memoranda and minutes on all aspects of the department's operations.
- Policies, procedures and guidelines prescribing the way various activities and programs are to be performed.
- Personnel files relating to the department's employees.
- Accounting and financial reports relating to the running of the department.
- Departmental annual reports, strategic plans and policy reports.
- Minutes of meetings and terms of reference.
- Documents relating to the functions of the department's divisions and statutory authorities.
Documents available from DIS
Free of charge
The following types of documents are published on the agency’s website and/or are publicly available free of charge by contacting the individual DIS areas:
- information packs
- discussion papers
- strategic plans
- fact sheets
- media releases
- annual reports
- consultation papers
Making an application for access to/or amendment of documents
Any person is able to exercise their right to access information held by the Department for Innovation and Skills under the Freedom of Information Act 1991 by requesting documents.
For information on how to apply for access under the Freedom of Information Act see Freedom of Information.