Creating positive impact on our training system
The first years of the Skilling South Australia initiative have had a noticeable impact on our training system.
There has been an increase in apprenticeship commencements for the first time in seven years. This means that more South Australians are on the path to securing the jobs that will flow from growth sectors, such as defence and shipbuilding.
We achieved this increase while the rest of the country continues to trend downwards. Highlights include:
Meeting our targets
- Almost 25,000 commencements over 2018/19 and 2019/20 financial years
- More than 1000 employers have hired their first apprentice since September 2018.
- $200m to address the drastic decline in apprenticeships
- More than doubled the apprenticeship qualifications on the Subsidised Training List
- Creating apprenticeships in new industries
- Revitalised the Training and Skills Commission
- Established eight Industry Skills Councils
- Over 130 skills projects developed in partnership with business
- $1.5m to support training provider capability
- Multi-faceted marketing campaign
- Skills information available on new websites for students, employers and training providers