The nature of work and the skill requirements of South Australia's workforce have changed since the Training and Skills Development Act 2008 (SA) (T&SD Act) was enacted more than 10 years ago.
The T&SD Act, is being updated to improve the regulation of apprenticeships and traineeships and provide employers and individuals with training and skill development that meets the needs of modern workplaces and the changing nature of work.
The review of the T&SD Act responds to key recommendations from the Training and Skills Commission’s Skills for Future Jobs 2020 Series: Future-proofing the Apprenticeship and Traineeship System report. This report canvassed the views of a range of stakeholders on how well the apprenticeships and traineeship system works and whether it meets contemporary needs.
Following consultation, the Training and Skills Development (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill 2020 will introduce reforms to develop a more responsive training system that is flexible, easy to navigate and geared towards the workforce needs of industry.
The most significant reforms introduced by the Amendment Bill include:
- establishing the South Australian Skills Commission – in line with the national emphasis on skills to support economic recovery
- establishing a South Australian Skills Commissioner – building on the success of the Industry Skills Councils
- expanding the scope of trades and declared vocations
- streamlining employer registration, including ability to declare an employer a prohibited employer
- introducing a fee for employers on transfer of a trainee or apprentice
- balancing obligations on parties to an apprenticeship or traineeship
- recognising other trade training.
Consultation on the Amendment Bill commenced on 2 July 2020 and concluded on 20 August 2020.
A Consultation Outcomes Report which summarises the input received from stakeholders throughout the consultation processes is now available.
- Training and Skills Development (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill 2020 - Consultation Outcomes Report (PDF)
For background information about the previous consultation, read the issues papers.
- Issues Paper 1 - Governance and regulation (PDF)
- Issues Paper 2 - Promoting new apprenticeship and traineeship pathways (PDF)
- Issues Paper 3 - Responsive legislation (PDF)
- Issues Paper 4 - Modern, best practice legislation (PDF)
For more information about this consultation
- email: DIS.TSDAct.Review@sa.gov.au
- phone: 08 8429 2927